Monday, March 26, 2007

A Birthday Only Burkina Faso Could Give

So for those of you who have dislocated your shoulder, this you will be able to relate to, but for those of you who haven’t, imagine breaking a bone that cuts off feeling and blood flow to the distal appendage. Either way, it sucks really bad.

Everyone loves the high dive right, until you dislocate your shoulder doing a swan dive stone sober and can’t get your shoulder back in place, even after all your friends at the pool who are Pre-Med give it the good old college try. Everyone there, including me wanted to get it back into the socket in fear of me actually having to go to a Burkinabe hospital! After many painful and unsuccessful attempts, I decided to give up and call the Peace Corps medical staff and see what 3rd world medicine is all about. I thought it can’t be all that bad. We found the “good” expatriate private hospital only after getting lost on unpaved, pothole ridden back streets of Ouagadougou. Every bump made me appreciate our perfectly smooth streets back home. When we got there the clinic was actually nicer than I expected and almost empty. The Peace Corps nurse with me had limited French, so it was up to me to do most of the translating and explaining. This was probably the most frustrating thing I have ever experienced due to the excruciating pain. They didn’t believe me that it was dislocated and wanted to check my range of motion. After about a second of the nurse moving my arm around I about passed out. They then missed my vein 3 times and proceeded to fill my surrounding tissue with IV solution. After a few curses in French they finally got the IV started and gave me a generic form of a drug that neither I, nor my PC nurse had heard of, but I was in such pain anything would have helped. I made it in to a wheelchair and took me to the x-ray room, where they had the same machine my mom probably learned on back in the 70's. The x-rays only stated the obvious; that it was out of its’ socket, but more importantly that nothing was broken or chipped. Before the doctor arrived all I could think about was not being able to get it done here in Burkina and having to fly to a more developed country that could pop my shoulder back in place. I cringed at the thought of the possible turbulence on the flight and the idea of my shoulder still being out of its socket for days. I then waited to about 3 hours till a doctor could be woken, and convinced to come to the hospital. A lot of Valium later, and a few big Burkinabe pulling on my arm they got my shoulder back in place. Getting it back in place was a great relief and a birthday present only Burkina Faso could give. They put me in an almost full upper body hard cast which almost degraded into paste from sweating in the 115 F heat. Finally that’s off now and I have a much cooler (temp) sling to wear and I have started doing physical therapy. I only hope that I can write on the blackboard next week for school, or teaching might become a little more interesting.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the story, Schultz! Now that I've about cringed a look of pain and empathy permanently on my face, are you gonna tell us how a swan dive turned into a dislocated shoulder in the first place?

Keep up the stories, teacher man, we're reading and proud of you!

- Chris Zach

Anonymous said...

All I could do was relate to your pain and suffering as I also received a miserable injury in Mexico. You're RIGHT ON MAN, it is indeed a miserable experience full of unmentionable pain with little hope of getting it corrected in the facilities these countries possess. You're in our thoughts and prayers always! Keep on keepin on!

Nuccmed said...

Dear Jonnie, What a great collection of pictures that you have been sending our way. Too bad about your hospital visit. If I told you once I will tell you a thousand times you cannot rope elephants in Africa. Just kidding buckaroo. It is aleays so nice to talk to you on the phone. I talked to Srio yesterday and he and his dad aree leaving for India next week to visit relatives. I TOLD HIM TO HAVE A GREAT TIME AND DON'T GET SICK THIS TIME OVER THERE. He thinks that maybe Josh and Nick might play golf up at Rush Creek for Greg's annual stroke golf tournament if he is not in Ecuador. he said he might be there but does not know for sure yet. Everyone here is fine, take care stay safe. LOve you John-Boy! Dad

Anonymous said...

Way to go, make me feel bad for fogetting your birthday and wishing you well ALL in one entry. Knew you were on Spring Break, ran into your Dad at HyVee the eve of St. Pat's we were stocking up...need I say more?

You are a star! Best wishes for a speedy recovery...
Patty McGillin/Coralville, IA, USA

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!! Hope you got my card. Sorry about your shoulder. I can't imagine the pain you were in for HOURS!!!! Really enjoy your Blog. Kim help me get set up google comments. She says HI!!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

yeah..... i agree with chris, i want to know how the swan dive engendered such a "memorable experience"? and out of curiosity what exactly was this swan dive off of =D
but as far as experiencing the pain you went through.... ive jammed my finger and i thought that was painful?.... so i can only imagine the excruciating pain you endured!
i hope all gets better
-Zoey

Seann said...

JOHN, whats up! Great to follow your blog and I hope we can be sure to hook up for the class letter exchange. I know you from Steve Smith. I got letters ready to go, just curious if you got my email recently?? I'll send another today. The kids are excited to have their letters read. Thanks. goodman@rfsd.k12.co.us